Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My PEOPLE and her lack thereof

I was taking a quick break from my work today and eating some cottage cheese and this girl that I work with came in, she works in another department but in my same building. She is in her 50s and a little odd, nice but different. I have noticed over time she is pretty cynical and doesn't really like people. I like to talk with her 'cause I know she reads a lot, watches a lot of movies and I think she would be interesting, but the more time I spend I realize she is really unhappy. She often asks me about Mike and I comment on his status and then tell of someone who really blessed me recently, small things, like a quick email first thing in the morning, dinner fixed unexpectedly by a friend, lunch with a buddy, some positive to help me deal with the Mike drama. She confessed she could count her friends on less than 5 fingers. I was so instantly grateful and yet so sad for her. Grateful because I have "people" I mean real tried and true friends. Those that love me when its good, bad and worse. She recently decided that she wasn't going to be friends with one particular person after 32 years, it broke me heart. I need people in my life, I need to have the energy from those around me, to laugh, to listen, to share in their days, to enjoy their kids, jobs and homes. I need to have those that need me and those that I need. I have my "dog crazy" friends who put up with my animal stories, my shopping friends, scrapbooking-craft friends, movie/lunch friends, kid friends like those we meet up with at soccer, baseball and dance, church friends, school friends, awesome neighbor friends, lifelong friends, heck... work friends too. Those that make us smile when we want to scream, those that understand deeply without words and those that make me laugh with just their presence....

I never told this lady at work how sorry I felt for her, it would be awkward, instead I prayed for her and Thanked God for my people. I couldn't walk on this road without all of you. I couldn't make it without those that understand at times I am out of words... and just need to be.

I am going to try hard tomorrow, Thursday to be thankful again, I missing that from my life. I need to focus on the good and all that I have rather than what I don't and what I can't control. I hope this helps... its one more step towards smiling instead of tears...

No comments: