Sunday, October 5, 2008

Unbelievable..... and pet peeve

You are not going to believe this.....
So, my husband is not only in a psych hospital, he is in the ICU of his hospital. Supposedly he is in the most secure, safest environment. He has told me all weekend he is doing worse, he is waking up sucidual, and even plotted to steal the nurses keys so he could break into the med room and steal all the meds to overdose. Now thats bad.

Tonight I called to check on him 'cause he hadn't eaten and was doing poorly. The nurse, his nurse was flippant with me, almost as if she hadn't seen him all nite, in fact I asked about him and she told me he was up but she didn't know where, I knew he was asleep 'cause I had called to check on him. OMG she just admitted to me she hadn't seen him since 7pm. My husband in the ICU is located directly behind the nurses station, in their observation room, with video camers on 100% line of site. He is not allowed to be alone. But she didn't know how he was doing. I was so pissed. I hung up and called back asking for the charge, they transferred me 4 times to no where. I have to tell you there are a few things in life that I despise, using the phone and transferring is in the top 3. There is absolutely no excuse for not knowing how to work the phone. I finally hung up and called the main line, explained to the nice receptionist how pissed I was and she better have the %^$%^ charge nurse call me back tonight. Thankfully it was Jade who I had spoken with last nite and knew Mike. I was nice and firm, reminding Jade that I had no confidence in this process and his care, that it was completely unacceptable for a nurse to not know how a patient was doing when someone was in the ICU. I did not deserve to be treated that way and it would not happen again. In the meantime, I wanted reassurance that he was safe and asleep, that he wasn't able to purge and to see if he had eaten. I was less than cheerful but still decent. I am so done dealing with these people. I have a conference call tomorrow and of course I am asking my mom to be on the call. I have asked to speak to his less than competent doctor and will be asking for a 2nd opinion since this last med change is completely not working. I have had it. Mike then tells me that our insurance may not pay and he might have to go live with his mom since he can't come home. NOW that is a BRIGHT IDEA! I cannot believe that his social worker hasn't read the chart so she could see how toxic his mom is.. and how that would not work. He would surely die. don't you wish you were me???

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Good Heavens! Is it time to get a head administrator involved? Good grief. I will be praying for Mike's protection.. from himself... and the wacko's running the place!

Polly said...

Holy cow! What in the world? How could it be that this is the "professional BEST that our hospitals have to offer"???? Geesh. Wish there was some brilliant thing to say here, but as it goes, you've heard it all before. Just know that if you need anything, I'm here.